The Fox Valley Genealogical Society was founded in 1981 in Naperville, Illinois. The purpose of the Society is to:
- Bring together persons who are researching in family history and to promote cooperation among them
- Educate others in methods and practices in genealogical research
- Inform people of the value of and the need for preserving family and local history for posterity
- Collect and preserve genealogical and historical data by publishing genealogical materials and articles
- Receive, hold, and invest monies, dues, gifts, sales, interest, etc., and to hold and administer property for the benefit of the Society and for its educational purpose.
The Fox Valley Genealogical Society holds nine monthly general meetings on the 2nd Thursday of each month: September through June (except December) at 7:30 PM in the Naperville Municipal Center, 400 South Eagle, Naperville, Illinois.
For 34 years the Society has been publishing a quarterly journal, Fox Tales, which are accessible by members. Members also receive an electronic newsletter monthly.
All newcomers are welcome to attend a meeting. New exciting contacts may be made and new important information obtained during the informal socializing after the general meetings.
The Society currently has a wide variety of on-going activities including:
- Conducting genealogy classes, both beginning and intermediate
- Sponsoring genealogy trips to libraries
- Research and correspondence in response to genealogical queries
- Both Morning and Evening Writing Groups (MWG) that meet monthly
- Scholarly Writing Group (SWG) meetings monthly
- Sponsorship of an annual, educational workshop
- Publication of Cemetery Readings
The Society will host their 25th Annual Fall Conference and the State of Illinois’ Bicentenial on Saturday, September 29, 2018, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. The Conference is called, “Venturing through Miles & Bytes.” For more information about the conference, visit: https://ilfvgs.org/education/conference/
For more general information about the Society, visit their website at ilfvgs.org
Anita Boyd, Former Membership Chair
Gail Ryan, Membership Chair