When baking sweet treats for the holidays, make sure your pet stays out of the kitchen. Ingredients like chocolate, yeast and macadamia nuts can upset your animal’s stomach.
And though Christmas plants are festive – they can also be toxic.
“Poinsettias, Holly, Mistletoe all can cause, again, upset tummies, we also see some heart issues with some of those plants. Lilies can cause kidney diseases too,” said Dr. Kristen Magnuson, Associate Veterinarian at the Naperville Animal Hospital.
One greener hazard – the pine needles that come from your tree – if ingested, they can puncture a hole in your pet’s intestines.
Keep decorations out of their reach as well. Make sure ornaments are up high and tinsel out of reach, especially for cats, who are drawn to the shiny, dangling strings. If ingested, they can tangle inside the intestines, which could lead to death.
And those aren’t the only hazards found on the tree.
“All of your cords, including the TV and any lights are kept up and out of the way. You don’t want your pet chewing on them because that can cause electrocution,” said Magnuson.
One last tip, make sure your pet is comfortable when you have company. Dr. Mag suggests a quiet comfy area if they aren’t used to having a crowd around.
Naperville News 17’s Natalie Vitale Reports.
WANT MORE LOCAL NEWS?
Get daily news headlines delivered to your inbox!Sign Up Today!