NCTV17 is a 501(c)3 nonprofit

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless – which makes it difficult to detect. The gas is created any time a fossil fuel is burned, and is common in stoves, small engines and cars. But without proper ventilation, it can build up to dangerous levels, causing death to those who breathe it in – so awareness is key.

“We all have carbon monoxide that comes through our homes in some way, shape or form. It should be vented properly. Make sure that your furnaces and your hot water heaters are checked regularly. They should be checked on an annual basis to make sure that there is no leaks from carbon monoxide,” said Naperville Fire Chief, Mark Puknaitis.

Having a carbon monoxide detector in your house is crucial to keeping you and your family safe. If the alarm goes off, get out of your home, and call the fire department immediately.

Naperville News 17’s Kim Pirc reports.



Get daily news headlines delivered to your inbox!

We're Hiring!

If you're a News or Sports reporter, check out our job postings.

cat2array(30) { [0]=> int(3) [1]=> int(14) [2]=> int(30) [3]=> int(15) [4]=> int(44) [5]=> int(62) [6]=> int(17) [7]=> int(195) [8]=> int(63) [9]=> int(196) [10]=> int(7053) [11]=> int(19) [12]=> int(28) [13]=> int(6494) [14]=> int(18) [15]=> int(13595) [16]=> int(13818) [17]=> int(13317) [18]=> int(32) [19]=> int(13803) [20]=> int(501) [21]=> int(33) [22]=> int(13804) [23]=> int(58) [24]=> int(2) [25]=> int(375) [26]=> int(13777) [27]=> int(13763) [28]=> int(42) [29]=> int(5) }